Wow! What a piece of work!
Good intentions notwithstanding, this book is a disaster! It’s in its 10th edition since 1972 and nobody has bothered to edit or proofread it.
First the good stuff:
- It does cover several topics that are essential for building and maintaining strong healthy relationships.
- It uses language that is easy for most people to relate to.
- There are a lot of exercises and comprehension quizzes.
Now for the not-so-good stuff:
- On one page, the author tells us that fear is something to accept, not fight. On the very next page, he tells us that if we are still suffering from anxiety, it is because we aren’t fighting the fear enough. What??? Doesn’t that sound contradictory to you? It does to me.
- The sections do not go in-depth enough. I don’t see the point of someone telling me to, “Control your self-esteem through how you see yourself” and then not giving me any idea how to do that.
- The answer keys for the quizzes are wrong or incomplete. Some of them have answers that directly contradict statements from the chapter, others have the answers from a previous edition, and some are missing the answers to a third of the questions.
- And most of the exercises are useless unless you are working in a group of at least 30 people.
I place this in the Top 5 most disappointing books I have ever read. If you insist on dropping way too much money on it anyway, I’ll still provide the link.
Catalyst Rating: 1 Seed